As the holidays approach and the year starts winding down, I can’t help but get a little retrospective. New Year’s is my favorite holiday of all – there’s something about the fresh start that fills me with hope and inspiration. But before we get there, I want to finish this year strong. That’s why I made a 17 Before 2017 list.
What is a 17 Before 2017 list?
It’s basically a list of seventeen things you want to accomplish before ringing in the new year. Any seventeen things. You can list simple things like “actually get the house clean,” or more self-improvement type tasks, like “Learn something new,” or “practice self-care routine every day.”
I love this list because it gives you one last chance to reevaluate your goals for the year, your resolutions, and inspires you to finish out the year strong. It’s also a to-do list for some of those things you’ve been procrastinating. Why not just do them now and not have them hanging over your head anymore?
What’s on my 17 Before 2017 list?
I feel like I have a nice mixtures of items on my list: some home and family things, self-improvement, relationships, blogging, and a few just me things. Here’s what I want to accomplish in the next few weeks:
- A date night with my husband. We always make time for each other, but it’ll be nice to end the year with a nice date. With our crazy three kids it’ll be time to hit up the at-home date night list!
- Make a goals list for 2017. I really loved setting goals this year, and I can’t wait to make a whole new list!
- Teach the girls how to use a spoon. Yes, I’ve really been putting this one off. But there are some things that are easier to wait until they’re ready instead of when we’re ready.
- Get within 5 pounds of my goal weight. I can accept that I probably won’t make it all the way to my goal. With my birthday and Thanksgiving I really fell off the wagon and I’m having a hard time getting started again. I’m not giving up, though!
- Start getting rid of baby stuff. There are high chairs and baby things all over this house, and we just don’t need them anymore. Time to declutter!
- Find at least three ways to give back to the community. It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the “me me me… I want this…” type of thing during this time of year. I want to make sure I think of others around me. I’ll definitely be doing a few things from my 25 Easy Ways to Give Back During the Holidays post.
- Read a book. I haven’t made much time for reading lately, and I really miss it!
- Clean out my closet. Y’all, I can barely open or close it.
- Plan Love Journals for the kids. This is one of those things I’ve been meaning to do, but I just haven’t.
- Have a holiday family adventure. Maybe we’ll go look at Christmas lights or get the kids’ pictures taken with Santa.
- Sheldon-clean the house. You know, the very detailed and obsessive type of cleaning. Maybe I should have called that one Monica-clean the house. Either way, I love starting the year with a clean house.
- Plan my next big crafty project. It’s been a long time since I sewed or crocheted anything, and my hands are getting twitchy!
- Go at least one day unplugged. Even if I’m not posting anything, I’m still looking at Facebook groups and Instagram way more than I care to admit. One of these days I just want to turn off the phone and ignore it all.
- Build up my blog post stash again. I used to have all of my posts done way ahead of time, but now I’m flying by the seat of my pants again. Time to fix that!
- Reorganize my son’s closet and dresser. There’s another disaster zone. Clothes he’s outgrown are piled everywhere, and I need to rearrange the contents of his dresser so that he can reach his own socks and underwear.
- Plan and start making freezer meals. You know those nights where you just don’t want to cook but you HAVE to because if not you’ll kill your diet progress? I’m trying to avoid that.
- Add more recipes to the recipe book. Back in April I ordered the Me & My Big Ideas recipe expansion pack. I love it! I even have it all set up with gorgeous covers and matching discs, but I’ve only added maybe three recipes to it. I want to add more of our favorites to it.
Where will you put your 17 Before 2017 list?
This is absolutely the perfect list to put in your bullet journal! You can even add it to your planner, or put it on the wall or your computer’s desktop.
Here is my spread I made for my bullet journal:
I used a black Steadtler fineliner for the lettering in the center, the bubble, and the dividing lines. My items are written in the grey Steadler fineliner. I wrote out all the numbers with a purple Crayola Super-Tip marker, and then outlined them with a silver metallic marker.
I’ve never done a list in this format before (I usually just write them in a column), but I really love how it turned out! As I finish the things on my list, I can add the date I completed them, and then color in that section with a colored pencil. Easy peasy, and it’ll be gorgeous all colored in!
If you need some inspiration for your list, check out Instagram! Just search for #17before2017, and while you’re there you can follow me!