In December I was lucky enough to be gifted with one of the world’s best kitchen tools: my enameled cast iron dutch oven, Bessie. I can’t even tell you how much I use her. She has inspired a few new recipes, but so far the best one we’ve done has been this Coconut Lime Chicken.
Once upon a time I did meal planning, and life was simpler. Then I fell off that wagon. So there I was staring at the pantry at 5pm one day trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I saw the coconut milk, knew we had limes, and then Bessie called me and we made magic.
This is so easy to make. We all know by now that I’m a huge fan of easy. Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste (in my book, that’s the essential trio). Heat your oil over medium-high heat, and brown the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until it’s pretty and golden. Then add in your chicken broth, coconut milk, lime juice, cayenne (to taste – I just used a small sprinkling), and cilantro. Cover it and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
I usually take out my kids’ servings, and then add some sriracha to the pot. I love the sweet from the coconut and the lime, and the spicy from the sriracha.
When you serve it, you can serve just the chicken, or you can make a gravy from all the leftover broth in the pot. Hubs prefers just the chicken, and that’s fine with me. I save all that yummy broth and reuse it. The broth kept really well stored in a freezer bag in the freezer. So far I have cooked rice in it (phenomenal rice!), and used it to make soup (best soup ever!).
And did I mention it’s pretty healthy, too? I used lite coconut milk, so all the usual fat, sugar, and calories were cut down to next to nothing. So there were really no ingredients here that are bad for you. Hooray! It went really well with a side of steamed broccoli.
I feel like I should also note that you don’t have to have a dutch oven to make this dinner. Cook it in whatever pot or skillet you want to that it will fit into. I just used Bessie because she’s one of my favorite kitchen goodies.
Coconut Lime Chicken is currently one of our family favorites for dinner. My three-year-old son loves it, and so do my picky one-year-old twins. This is definitely one of my favorite creations, so I’m really excited to share it with you!
Will you be trying this recipe? Tell me below in the comments!
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 2-3 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 can Chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can lite coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and sriracha to taste
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Brown chicken approximately 4-5 minutes per side, until golden-brown.
- Add in chicken broth, coconut milk, cayenne, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- If desired, stir in sriracha before serving.
- Make a gravy by removing the chicken breasts and stirring in a corn starch slurry.
- OR save the leftover broth to make rice or soup later on. It freezes well.