This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company, Kellogg Company, J.M. Smucker Company, and The HERSHEY’S Company. All opinions are mine alone. #StartSchoolLikeAChampion #CollectiveBias
Reading is one of the most important things to our family. It’s in our daily routine several times. All of my children will bring me books throughout the day for impromptu readings. As a parent, one of my biggest goals is to share the love of reading early in their lives. Our own personal library is constantly growing. It’s difficult to go to the store without coming home with another book, and I always have books on our kids’ wish lists for gifts. This summer our library will be getting much bigger thanks to grocery shopping, and it’s going to be so much easier on our wallet!
Many of you might already be thinking of back to school lists, just like many athletes are preparing for the 2016 Olympic Games. That’s why Team USA sponsors (Coca-Cola®, Kellogg’s®, HERSHEY’S, and ©/® J.M. Smucker) have teamed up with Scholastic to help you go back to school like a champion. For every participating item you buy at Walmart (from June 29th to September 30, 2016), you get one free Scholastic book. You can earn up to 90 free books!
This program is so easy, and I love it because it includes products that we actually use in our home! We don’t have to buy a bunch of crazy stuff that we’ll never use just to get a free book.
How to get your free books:
Go shopping at Walmart. This is a Walmart-exclusive program, and receipts from other stores will not work. Purchase your participating grocery items (a full list of items can be found on the Kellogg’s Family Rewards website). The Team USA sponsors are keeping it simple for you: 1 item = 1 book, and you can do multiple items!
- When you get home, snap a picture of your receipt for submission. Join or log in to your Kellogg’s Family Rewards account. I needed to create an account, but it’s as simple as answering a few questions! Upload your receipt within 30 days of purchasing by simply clicking on “Upload Receipt” and find your photo. Once it’s selected, just hit submit.
- You will soon get a confirmation email once your receipt has been processed. It can take anywhere from a few hours up to three days. It only took an hour or two for mine to be processed. Click the link in your email that says “See your activity.” It will take you to your Kellogg’s Family Rewards dashboard.
- Once there, hover your mouse over the menu bar at the top where it says OFFERS. Then click on Walmart Scholastic Book Offer.
- You have the option to Order Now if you want to keep your books, or Donate Now if you want your books sent directly to a school.
- For Donate now you will be given drop-down menus to select your state, then your city, and then your school of choice.
- For Order now, you will be given a selection of books. You can narrow your search by reading level/age group, or you can browse all the books at once.
- Select your book, click on get it.
Then all you need to do is confirm your address and place your order!
It’s that easy! And there is such a great selection of titles to choose from. Looking through all of these books and trying to pick the perfect ones reminded me of when I worked in the children’s department of a bookstore in my PMD (Pre-Motherhood Days).When I was starting college I needed a part-time job. I loved reading so much and thought it would be fun to work at a bookstore. I pictured myself sitting around all day getting paid to read and sip coffee. I had no idea how much work it actually was.
In reality, I worked in the coffee shop for a few years before I could make it out to the books. When I finally did, it was to the children’s department – not what I wanted. I was terrified. All I saw were giant piles of misplaced books and toys scattered everywhere. I saw children running wildly from one end of the department to the other. There was so much yelling (excited kids) and crying (kids who didn’t want to leave). It was basically every bookseller’s worst nightmare.First impressions can be naive, and I didn’t realize what I was really seeing. The kids were letting off steam and energy. Their imaginations were learning how to take off in a thousand directions. Once you understand the children’s department, you can truly love it for what it is – an opportunity to help kids fall in love with reading.
I learned the books; I became familiar with the kids and the parents. I loved finding the perfect book for a reluctant reader, and then later hearing how much they loved it and wanted more just like it. I helped parents find books for their young children who were just learning their letters and sight words. I found books for pregnant moms to read to their unborn babies. I’m so glad for my experience working in the children’s department, because now I feel prepared for showing my own children how to love books.One of the reasons I love the Start School Like a Champion program is that I have the opportunity to share the love of reading with kids again, and not just my own. Instead of claiming the free books for us, I also have the option of donating the books! I can pay it forward just by buying groceries!
I’m really excited to donate some books to our local Ronald McDonald House. When one of our twins was 12 days old, she had a heart procedure done at the children’s hospital. We were in shock, terrified, and had no idea what to do. The wonderful people at the RMH gave us a place to stay minutes away from her. You can read more about our experience with them here. I’m so glad we finally have a chance to give back to them. (*Side note: according to the instructions on the website, you can only donate books through the program to schools. However, once our books arrive, I will happily box some up and drop them in the mail!)